Venue and Hotels
The conference will be held at the Philadelphia Convention Center in Center City (downtown Philadelphia). There is a discounted block of rooms at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown at 1201 Market Street, a short walk to the Convention Center. To make your reservation at the discounted Cognitive Science Society rate, please click here. The conference rates are only available until July 19.
Please check your visa requirements soon for travel to the United States. This website has information about the application process and a visitor visa.
In addition, inbound travelers to the United States from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries must comply with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) program. ESTA requires all international travelers from VWP countries to register in an online database. International travelers to the United States must go to the ESTA Web site and fill out an application before entering the country by air or sea.
Upon request, invitation letters will be provided only to accepted paper/poster authors. Please fill out this information form by June 1.
PLEASE NOTE that visa letters are sent to you, not the Embassy, so please provide the correct information on the form. The deadline for requests is June 1. The Society is not able to assist you with additional documents or requirements beyond a letter acknowledging your accepted presentation at the conference.
Getting to Philadelphia
Philadelphia is easily reached via airplane, train and car.
The closest major airport to the Philadelphia Convention Center is Philadelphia International Airport (PHL).
There are multiple ways to get to Center City (downtown Philadelphia) from Philadelphia International Airport: Regional rail (SEPTA), taxi, and shuttle van.
Regional Rail (SEPTA)
The Airport Line goes directly from Philadelphia International Airport to Center City. Trains run daily from 5 am to midnight every 1/2 hour, departing from all airport terminals. Please see this timetable for exact departure times. The stop closest to the Convention Center is Jefferson Station. It takes approximately 25-30 minutes to reach Jefferson Station from the airport. A one-way ticket costs $8.00, and is purchased on the train (cash only).
Taxis can be found at Zone 5 outside of all baggage claim areas. Taxis from the airport to downtown Philadelphia (and vice versa) cost $28.50 (flat rate), not including tip.
There are a number of shuttle services from Philadelphia International Airport to Center City. They can be found at Zone 7 outside of all baggage claim areas.
Philadelphia is connected to a number of major cities along the Eastern seaboard and beyond via AMTRAK. AMTRAK trains to Philadelphia stop at 30th Street Station. With an AMTRAK ticket, the trip from 30th Street Station to Jefferson Station is free using SEPTA's Regional Rail service.
If you need parking near the conference, Parking Panda is offering a discount to attendees. To compare prices and distances to many lots and garages near the Philadelphia Convention Center, please book your reservation here. Use code COGSCI16 at checkout.
If you have questions or need assistance booking, please call Parking Panda at (800) 232-6415.
Philadelphia is a UNESCO World Heritage City with great history, culture, restaurants and museums. Downtown Philadelphia is relatively compact and is easily traveled on foot. Below are listed a number of sites and tourist destinations within walking distance of the Convention Center.
- Visit Philadelphia - Official Visitor and Travel Website
- SEPTA (Public transportation within Philadelphia)
- Wikitravel - Philadelphia
- 36 hours in Philadelphia from The New York Times
Things to see and do
Here are a few tourist attractions in Philadelphia.
Within walking distance
- Independence National Historical Park and Visitor's Center 6th and Market Street - This includes the Liberty Bell Center, Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, and other sites of historic interest.
- Philadelphia Chinatown 10th and Arch - A number of restaurants and stores.
- Reading Terminal Market 12th and Arch - Opened in 1892 and is one of the oldest farmers markets in the United States.
A long walk or short cab ride
- Philadelphia Museum of Art 26th and Ben Franklin Parkway - One of the largest art museums in the United States, and the location of the "Rocky" steps.
- The Barnes Foundation 20th and Ben Franklin Parkway - Hosts the biggest collection of Impressionist paintings outside Paris.
- The Franklin Institute Excellent science museum. Includes an exhibit on the brain. Discounted tickets to the Franklin Institute are available. Please visit here to create an account and enter organization code CSPHLGRP to receive the discount.
- Academy of Natural Sciences 1900 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy - Natural history museum with a nature center and butterfly exhibit.
- Mutter Museum 19 S 22nd St. (between Market and Chestnut) - Medical oddities museum.
- Rodin Museum 22nd St and Benjamin Franklin Pkwy - Outdoor sculpture museum featuring the works of Rodin.
Places to eat
Lunch near the Convention Center
The Convention Center is very close to Reading Terminal Market and Chinatown, with a number of inexpensive restaurants to choose from. (Note that Reading Terminal Market closes at 6pm Monday-Saturday, 5pm on Sunday.)
- Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House ($) - 1022 Race St - Chinese noodles
- Dim Sum Garden ($) - 1020 Race Street - Dim sum
- Tommy DiNic's ($) - In Reading Terminal Market - Philadelphia roast pork sandwiches
- Hershel's East Side Deli ($) - In Reading terminal market - Deli sandwiches (pastrami, corned beef)
- Penang ($$) - Malaysian
- Rangoon Burmese Restaurant ($$) - 112 N 9th St - Burmese
- Terakawa Ramen ($$) - 204 N 9th St - Japanese
Dinner in Center City Philadelphia
There are a number of excellent restaurants in Philadelphia (see these top restaurant lists by Zagat, Eater, Philadelphia Magazine, and noted Philadelphia food critic Craig LaBan). Below is a list of a handful of restaurants near the conference.
- Vedge ($$$) - 1221 Locust St. - Vegan, Vegetarian
- Abe Fisher ($$$) - 1623 Sansom St. - Modern European
- Talula's Garden ($$$) - 210 W. Washington Square - New American
- Dizengoff ($$) - 1625 Sansom St. - Middle Eastern
- Vetri ($$$$) - 1312 Spruce St. - Italian
- Barbuzzo ($$) - 110 S. 13th St. - Mediterranean, Pizza
- Morimoto ($$$$) - 723 Chestnut St. - Japanese
- Fogo de Chao ($$$) - 1337 Chestnut St. - Brazilian Steakhouse
- Alma De Cuba ($$$) - 1623 Walnut St. - Cuban
- V Street ($$) - 126 S. 19th St. - Vegan, Vegetarian
- Luke's Lobster ($$) - 130 S. 17th St. - Seafood (lobster)
- Amis ($$$) - 412 S 13th St. - Italian
- El Vez ($$) - 121 S 13th St. - Mexican
- Parc ($$$) - 227 S 18th St - French, New American