Update: CogSci ‘23 will offer a modified hybrid format for the 2023 Conference
- Presentations from the main-session room will be live-streamed every day for all events. This will include all invited talks and award sessions.
- Recordings of all CogSci 2023 sessions will be made available for on-demand viewing after the conference.
- Presenters who are unable to travel to Sydney will have the option of presenting live virtually. Given the time zone difference for many in our international society, virtual presenters must also submit a pre-recorded video of their presentation to be played in case of any technical difficulties.
- We anticipate an increase in locally organized events where attendees participate synchronously in the live-streamed program from the main-session room.
- New this year, we’ll provide financial support for meet ups for qualifying regions. Applications are now open via this link. Applications close January 9, 2023.
- To whet your appetite for travel to Sydney Australia:
- Group excursions are being planned during and immediately after the conference.
- CogSci Grove: we will continue to offset carbon emissions for our invited program via our CogSci grove initiative and travelers have the option of donating to this program at the time of registration.
- Student Travel Grants: CSS is offering 50 student travel grants of $1200 each. Apply during the submission process.
- CogSci Family Grant Program: these funds are often underused. Apply during the submission process and bring your family with you or pay someone to watch the kids at home.
- Conference awards to be made at the conference – see details
- What went into this decision?
- Quite a lot of discussion
- A primary reason for organizing in-person events is to offer opportunities for personal connection and networking. (To be enhanced with special events in Sydney!)
- The high cost of live-streaming all rooms is not sustainable in the long term.
- We recognize that Sydney is a journey for many members, but CogSci has a commitment to grow membership across the globe.
- We share concerns with our membership about conference travel, particularly as it relates to accessibility and climate change. CogSci is experimenting with different conference formats to determine how to move forward in future years with the aim of finding the right mix of live in-person vs. hybrid vs. fully virtual to provide the best experience for our membership at the conference and beyond.
Thank you to our Sponsors and Exhibitors!